Galentine’s Day Event RecapWe had a wonderful time at Galentine’s Day 2018! 15 feminists came together for an evening filled with feminist discussion, Enna Chocolate tasting, Galentine card-making, wine and tea drinking and feminist poetry reading. We enjoyed perusing the mobile feminist library and the food from Laney & Lu as well! It was so inspiring to read through the thoughts shared on the Post-It conversation walls, and we’re planning on using the contributions to inspire future events and ideas (hello, feminist hiking trip!). Below is a brief recap of things mentioned, read, recommended and shared. We’ll share more info about the thoughts shared on the conversation wall soon on the blog — make sure you’re signed up on our email list it if you want the updates!
Shared resources from Galentine’s Day:
- I read “I Want be in Your Gang” by Adrea Quinlan from this great book of poetry on female friendship: Best Friends Forever: Poems on Female Friendship, “On the Friendship Betwixt Two Ladies” by Edmund Waller and “Phenomenal Woman” by Maya Angelou
- Alexandra read several poems from Morgan Parker’s There Are Things More Beautiful Than Beyonce
- I recommended the feminist podcast “Call Your Girlfriend“
- Erin recommended the feminist podcasts “Lean the Fuck Out” and “Inflection Point“
- Ann & Leslie from the TV show “Parks & Recreation”
- The Schuyler Sisters from the musical “Hamilton”
- Amy Poehler & Tina Fey — In real life (IRL)
- Ellen DeGeneres & Jennifer Aniston (IRL)
- Grace & Frankie (played by Jane Fonda & Lily Tomlin) from the TV show “Grace & Frankie”
- Cici & Hillary, played by Bette Middler & Barbara Hershey) in the movie “Beaches”
- Rory & Paris and Rory & Laurelai from the TV show “Gilmore Girls”
- Oprah & Gayle King IRL
- Thelma & Louise, played by Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis from the movie “Thelma & Louise”
- This legendary Vagina poem reading by “the Vagina Man” from 6 years ago
- Shine Theory: Why Powerful Women Make the Greatest Friends by Ann Friedman
- Galentine’s Day: How a Beloved Fiction Became a Beloved Tradition by Megan Garber
- Leslie Knope’s Wall of Inspirational Women from Happy Feminism
- Creating and celebrating your own feminist holidays — like Galentine’s Day (our own blog post, inspired by Dr. Courtney Marshall’s parting wisdom from Feminist Theory + Lemonade)
Event photosClick through to the Flickr album for our organizer-shot and crowd-sourced photos from Galentine’s Day!
Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: WP Frank
Celebrate female friendship. Learn about chocolate. Enjoy feminist poetry.
Tuesday, February 13th 6pm – 7:30pm
Don’t forget to invite your bestie!
Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.* —Leslie Knope * [Except, instead of frittatas, we’re adding chocolate!]Enna Chocolate is hosting our gathering, and Enna herself will be on hand to explain to us how chocolate is made. We’ll read some feminist poetry and invite you to share your thoughts and favorite examples, in pop culture, literature, film and elsewhere, of female friendship. Your ticket price will get you a taste of some Enna Chocolate chocolate, and some delicious light apps from Laney & Lu. We’ll also have some wine, tea and other beverages to toast to female friendship!