**Update: see event recap, resources & photos here.**
Feminist Oasis presents: Feminist Theory + Lemonade — Meet feminist womxn in your community. Watch Beyoncé’s Lemonade. Discuss it with feminist scholars.
1/20/18 @ 6:30pm
Jessica Todd Salon
Registration opens 1/12/18 @ noon
(subscribe for email updates for registration alerts!)
Dr. Aria S. Halliday — Aria S. Halliday is assistant professor of Africana feminisms in women’s studies at the University of New Hampshire. Dr. Halliday joined the UNH faculty in 2017. She earned her M.A. and Ph.D. in American studies with a graduate certificate in women’s, gender and sexuality studies from Purdue University. Dr. Halliday’s research spans the interdisciplinary fields of American studies; African American studies; women’s, gender, and sexuality studies; and cultural studies, focusing on Black American and Caribbean women’s visual and material cultural production. Black feminist theory informs her current research, in which she examines the representation of Black women’s and girls’ sexual expression in popular culture and the ways in which those expressions shape radicalism, consumerism and new media cultures. She is the founder of Ruthless — a blog on Black women, feminism and Christianity — and the Digital Black Girls, a digital humanities project that documents representations of Black girls in popular culture. She is also a regular contributor to The Ebony Tower, a blog dedicated to the experience of graduate students of color. She was raised in Durham, North Carolina and is a proud alumna of Davidson College.
Dr. Courtney Marshall — Dr. Courtney Marshall uses Black feminist theory to transform the world of group fitness and personal training. In 2015, she created Jump at The Sun Fitness to bring Black women’s brilliance to the gym and free fitness programs to her community. She is currently writing Ain’t I An Athlete?, a Black feminist training diary. She holds a PhD in English from UCLA and teaches English at Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, NH.
Partners, Sponsors & Collaborators
Event Partner & Host: Jessica Todd Salon — Our host and collaborator for this first event, Jessica Todd is a salon and community-minded business. Jessica is passionate about supporting women & children through her business.
Sponsor: Celina Adams Consulting — Building the just and equitable world we want with strategic philanthropy and impact advising. If you want your money to reflect your values, visit: www.celinaadams.com.
Sponsor: New Hampshire Women’s Foundation — The New Hampshire Women’s Foundation invests in opportunity and equality for women and girls in the Granite State through research, advocacy, education and grant making. Learn more at: nhwomensfoundation.org
- Catherine Stewart — Our collaborator and expertise in the film world, Catherine uses theatre and film to ignite social and political change by challenging how audiences interact with live and recorded performance.
- Laney & Lu — A vibrant food community cafe located in historic downtown Exeter, NH, Laney & Lu is providing some delicious and healthy foodscapes for our attendees to enjoy at our event.
- 3S Artspace — 3S is dedicated to presenting and supporting bold, emerging art and entertainment and cultivating an informal space for the exchange of ideas and creativity. They’re supplying seating for our event.
- Kate & Keith Photography — Kate & Keith Photography makes a habit of taking advantage of opportunities and treating each day as an adventure.
- DJ Skooch — DJ Skooch provides professional DJ services and AV management for a number for wonderful community events and initiatives.
info + updates: feministoasis.com