As this year draws to a close, I’ve been really looking forward to setting intentions for the next one. I don’t usually do typical “resolutions”, but I have loved spending the end of years past reflecting on what has brought me joy and what I have learned about myself. This year, I’ve bookmarked several year-end/new year writing prompts and have set aside time today to reflect, write and come up with my guiding principles for 2021.
If you’d like to join me, here are a few frameworks I’ll be picking and choosing from as I reflect:
- This Instagram post with some reflection prompts from Tara McMullin of What Works
- This Instagram post of a New Year’s tarot spread (can also use Oracle cards/other prompts)
- This Twitter thread of “small things” (thanks to Feminist Oasis Co-Conspirator Alexandra Bishop for sharing this one!)
My end goal of this exercise is to choose 2–3 words or phrases that will guide my 2021 — they’ll serve as:
- Filters for communications, online and offline (For example, if one of them is “Gracious” like Gayle King’s 2020 “word of the year”, I’d ask myself before sharing something: “Is this gracious?”)
- Guides in choosing which projects I’ll be involved with (we all know, we can’t do everything, so having some criteria/focus here is helpful)
- Overall mantras in setting my focus for each day/week/month
If you do end up partaking in a version of this exercise with me, I’d love to hear what you choose for your words/intentions/guiding principles for 2021!