Currently, Feminist Oasis is an experimental, exploratory, pop-up entity. We have a very exciting vision for what we will become in the future, but we are allowing ourselves the freedom to explore and learn alongside our community as we gain clarity on that vision. This mission and these values are things that we believe in, and which we expect may evolve as we listen to and collaborate with our community.
To envision, alongside our community, what alternatives to white supremacist, capitalist patriarchy would look like, and explore how we can build them, together.
- “Yes, And!” — This is a concept from the improv world, but it succinctly captures our attitude that there are not binary answers to all things, and there are many great solutions to any problem. We are exploring what the best approach is for our unique group of humans to address these issues and show up in the world. That doesn’t mean we reject the way you approach the same issue, or how you choose to show up in the world! “Yes, And!”
- Build Alternatives — We focus on building alternatives and will proudly use our voices to speak out for what we believe in. We don’t define ourselves by fighting against stuff, nor will we give up our political voice or shirk our responsibility to resist hatred and violence.
- Our feminism is intersectional and inclusive — We strive to be inclusive to those of all races, genders, abilities and backgrounds. We recognize our privilege and amplify the voices of those whose oppression is different from our own. Black lives matter. Trans lives matter. Trans women are women. LGBTQIA+ rights are human rights.
- “Is this real?” — We question the inevitability of unhealthy power structures. We make physical objects and have in-person meetings where possible. We think twice before using colloquialisms. As often as we can, we step back, and ask: “Is this real?”
- First, Call in — It is sometimes necessary to call out problematic behavior. We seek to first “call in” — responding to differing viewpoints by acknowledging personal experiences, sharing information and creating an opportunity to learn from each other.
- Hold ourselves and other accountable — We are accountable to our vision, for our words and for our actions. We welcome criticism and the opportunity to learn and grow. We use our privilege and our voice to inform those in positions of power (including those elected by us or profiting from us) of their responsibility to justice, and to hold them accountable to that responsibility.
Our challenge is to balance these simultaneous goals:
- Hold the vision — Stay true to our mission and values
- Keep learning — Allow for new information to improve and update our approach
We strive to embody these attributes:
We believe that feminist issues include, but are not limited to:
- Racial justice
- Trans inclusivity
- LGBTQ equality
- Environmental justice
- Political representation
- Economic empowerment
- Bodily autonomy
- Refugee and immigrant rights
- Gender equality
Check back often — we expect this to be a work in progress. As always, we welcome your polite, engaged feedback* — contact us with your thoughts!
*”As always, we welcome your polite, engaged feedback” is a line from the introduction of the podcast Queery. Thanks, Cameron!